POSITION TITLE: Nursing Education Specialist
DATE: January 14, 2019
DEPARTMENT: Practice, Education and Special Projects
ACCOUNTABLE TO: Manager of Practice, Education and Special Projects
The primary responsibility of this position is to design and teach nursing related courses to MNA members. This person is expected to lead Nursing CEU workshops that MNA members can use for licensure renewal and certification, including BLS, ALS and PALS certification courses. The nurse educator will seek input from MNA member leaders and at-large membership on needs for developing new educational content.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES
MNA is seeking candidates with experience in adult education, knowledge of the learning process, and evidence of varied teaching techniques. Ideal candidates will demonstrate skill in curriculum design and evaluation. The nurse educator will demonstrate interpersonal skills and an ability to develop and maintain open, positive, cooperative and collaborative working relationships with all MNA members.
ACADEMIC AND CLINICAL QUALIFICATIONS
• Master’s Degree in Nursing or higher
• Active, unencumbered RN License in MN
• Active CPR certification
• BLS, ACLS, PALS certification
• Current provider card of either PALS or ACLS or ability to complete instructor course within six months.
• 2+ years’ clinical nursing experience required
PREFERRED PROFESSIONAL QUALIFICATIONS
• Broad experience (3-5 years) in nursing education.
• Experience developing curriculum and academic program assessments.
• Experience designing and teaching adult education programs.
• Experience teaching BLS, ACLS, PALS certification courses.
• Experience with online training modules.
• Demonstrated commitment to quality instruction and continuous improvement.
• Self-motivated, flexible, and able to work in a team environment with minimal supervision
• Excellent interpersonal communication, presentation and leadership abilities.
• Create and maintain course materials in compliance with MN Board of Nursing Continuing Education requirements
• Develop course materials in compliance with certification courses, such as Basic Life Support, Advanced Life Support, Pediatric Life Support, etc.
• Plan and implement nursing education workshop schedule to meet members’ continuing education needs.
• Coordinate and collaborate with other MNA staff on educational programming.
• Function as a team member within the Governmental Affairs department.
• Plan budget for workshops and monitor costs against budget.
• Facilitate various MNA member groups, such as the MNA Practice and Education Commission and the MNA Health and Safety Committee.
• Research and develop digital content for on-line course work.
• Facilitate effective and engaging learning environments in various teaching modalities.
• Available to travel throughout Minnesota as necessary, occasionally requiring overnight stay.
• Ability to plan and organize own activities and work independently.
• Creativity and flexibility.
• Good interpersonal relationships.
• Ability to speak to groups and represent the Association to allied organizations with enthusiastic support of its policies and activities.
• Ability to suggest and adjust to change.
• Sensitivity to needs of staff and membership.
• Tact and willingness to listen and work harmoniously with individuals and groups.
• Engage with nursing academic programs & nursing students
o Maintain information regarding academic nursing programs.
o Counsel potential nursing students.
o Keep abreast of supply and demand issues.
o Maintain relationships with nursing faculty in the region.
o Provide presentations to prospective nursing students or current nursing students.
Salary: Salary range is $73,174 – $134,909 with initial placement on the wage scale depending on experience and qualifications. Step increases per collective bargaining agreement. MNA is an EEO/AA Employer.
Contact: Send cover letter, resume and salary expectations to Cynthia Campos, Human Resources Manager, at Cynthia.Campos@mnnurses.org.