Press Release: MNA Nurses Reject Allina Contract Offer, Authorize Strike Strike Plans Now Being Made

Contact: Rick Fuentes
(o) 651-414-2863
(c) 612-741-0662
rick.fuentes@mnnurses.org

Barbara Brady
(o) 651-414-2849
(c) 651-202-0845
barbara.brady@mnnurses.org

(St. Paul) – June 6, 2016 – Nurses represented by the Minnesota Nurses Association voted overwhelmingly to reject the latest offer by Allina Health and authorize the negotiating team to call a strike in the coming weeks.

Since February, the owner of Abbott Northwestern/Phillips Eye Institute, Mercy, United, and Unity hospitals has continued to make the same proposal to take away nurses’ affordable health plans and move them to corporate plans with big out-of-pocket costs for employees.

“Nurses know what’s at stake. Nurses are prepared. We have to be advocates for our practice, our patients, and for ourselves and our family,” said Angela Becchetti, Registered Nurse at Abbott Northwestern Hospital.

Nurses at all four hospitals voted by overwhelming majority to reject the contract offer and tell Allina to return to the bargaining table. Nurses at all four hospitals also voted by more than a 66 percent super majority to reject the contract and authorize the negotiating committee to call a strike. MNA must give the employer a 10-day notice for a strike.

“Allina’s negotiators never made the case why they need to cut nurses’ health plans and ask nurses to pick up $10 million in costs. They’ve said it’s not about money. They said it’s about lowering nurses’ benefits to the low levels that their other employees suffer with,” Becchetti said.

The contract for 5,000 nurses negotiating with Allina Health expired on May 31, but the employer left the bargaining table last week and refused to talk further about important issues to reach an agreement. Allina Health negotiators responded with a “complete offer” and told nurses they would not continue to negotiate.

“Allina Health has refused to bargain about any of the other outstanding issues the nurses have brought forward, including staffing and workplace violence,” Becchetti said.

Share the Post:

Related Posts

Hazelden Nurses at the strike line with signs

Hazelden Betty Ford nurses ratify historic first union contract

First unionized nurses at Hazelden Betty Ford Foundation secure landmark agreement after two-week unfair labor strike

CENTER CITY, Minn.—(July 30, 2026)—Nurses at Hazelden Betty Ford Foundation, represented by the Minnesota Nurses Association (MNA), have voted to ratify their first collective bargaining agreement, concluding a historic campaign that established the first unionized nurse bargaining unit anywhere in the nation across the Hazelden Betty Ford Foundation system.
… Read more about: Hazelden Betty Ford nurses ratify historic first union contract  »

Read More

BREAKING: 600 Maple Grove nurses ratify new contract, securing stronger wages, workplace protections and stability during proposed acquisition

Nearly 600 nurses at Maple Grove Hospital, represented by the Minnesota Nurses Association, have voted to ratify a historic three-year contract that strengthens wages, retirement security, affordable health insurance and workplace protections while providing stability for nurses and patients as the hospital prepares to be acquired by Sanford Health. 
… Read more about: BREAKING: 600 Maple Grove nurses ratify new contract, securing stronger wages, workplace protections and stability during proposed acquisition  »

Read More