Pediatric Nurses Will Picket Children’s Hospitals

Media Advisory

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

Contact:  Rick Fuentes
(o) 651-414-2863
(c) 612-741-0662
rick.fuentes@mnnurses.org
Lauren Nielsen
(o) 651-414-2862
(c) 651-376-9709
lauren.nielsen@mnnurses.org

Nurses Fearful Patients Unable to Receive Care

(St. Paul) – June 3, 2021 – Nurse members of the Minnesota Nurses Association have filed a ten-day notice to picket outside Children’s Hospitals Minneapolis and Saint Paul campuses to fight for enough staffing and enough beds for pediatric patients.

MNA nurses have been meeting with Children’s management over several months since the corporation launched a downsizing of its Saint Paul hospital and a redesign for the Minneapolis campus. Since then, nurses at both hospitals have been let go and some services have been shifted to Minneapolis. The situation has left both hospital campuses critically short-staffed and without enough beds to admit patients.

Children’s is taking away services from the sickest kids served in the St. Paul hospital while placing more of a burden on the already strapped resources of the Minneapolis campus,” said Tricia Ryshkus, Registered Nurse at Children’s Minneapolis. “And now what’s happening is kids are waiting for care and it’s increasing health inequities for all of these kids.”

“The kids are sicker and need more care,” said Sydney Pederson, RN at Children’s Saint Paul. “Our patients need access to the care they need when they need it, regardless of where they live.”

When:      Tuesday, June 8, 6-8 a.m.

Where:    Outside Minneapolis campus of Children’s Hospital
2525 Chicago Ave, Minneapolis, MN 55404

When:      Tuesday, June 8, 4-6 p.m.

Where:    Outside St. Paul campus of Children’s Hospital
345 North Smith Ave, St. Paul, MN 55102

Who:        Pediatric nurses and members of MNA

What:     Informational Picket

Why:      To address short staffing and lack of access to care for patients

Note:  This event is not a work stoppage. All participants will be on their off-hours. Patient care will not be impacted by this event.

###

 

Share the Post:

Related Posts

Hazelden Nurses at the strike line with signs

Hazelden Betty Ford nurses ratify historic first union contract

First unionized nurses at Hazelden Betty Ford Foundation secure landmark agreement after two-week unfair labor strike

CENTER CITY, Minn.—(July 30, 2026)—Nurses at Hazelden Betty Ford Foundation, represented by the Minnesota Nurses Association (MNA), have voted to ratify their first collective bargaining agreement, concluding a historic campaign that established the first unionized nurse bargaining unit anywhere in the nation across the Hazelden Betty Ford Foundation system.
… Read more about: Hazelden Betty Ford nurses ratify historic first union contract  »

Read More

BREAKING: 600 Maple Grove nurses ratify new contract, securing stronger wages, workplace protections and stability during proposed acquisition

Nearly 600 nurses at Maple Grove Hospital, represented by the Minnesota Nurses Association, have voted to ratify a historic three-year contract that strengthens wages, retirement security, affordable health insurance and workplace protections while providing stability for nurses and patients as the hospital prepares to be acquired by Sanford Health. 
… Read more about: BREAKING: 600 Maple Grove nurses ratify new contract, securing stronger wages, workplace protections and stability during proposed acquisition  »

Read More