By Jean Forman, RN
Chair, MNA Government Affairs Commission
Our 2019 Minnesota legislature has been sworn in! Thanks to many hours by engaged nurses on the phones and on the doors as well as countless conversations this past year, Minnesota voters have elected leaders who have set forth a “Top 10” values.
Agenda that includes:
- HF 1: The Great Start for All Minnesota Children Act
- HF 2: K-12 Student Support Legislation
- HF 3: MinnesotaCare Buy-In
- HF 4: Preventing prescription drug price gouging
- HF 5: Paid Family & Medical Leave and Earned Sick & Safe Time
- HF 6: Wage Theft prevention and enforcement
- HF 7: Rural broadband expansion
- HF 8: Keeping guns out of the hands of dangerous people through criminal background checks
- HF 9: Preventing gun violence through Extreme Risk Protection Orders
- HF 10: Protecting Minnesotans from sexual harassment.
How does this compare to legislative priorities that MNA’s GAC members have organized for this session?
- Workplace Violence Prevention
- MinnesotaCare Expansion* Legislation introduced
- Staffing Ratios
- Single Payer Healthcare
- Gun Violence Prevention** Legislation introduced
- Prescription Drug Pricing * Legislation introduced
- Board of Nursing Review Changes to include nurses
- Expanded Mental Health Program Funding
- Cannabis Legalization
- Paid Family Leave* Legislation Introduced
Isn’t is great that our Minnesota House is already sponsoring legislation in line with five of our top ten priorities? Of course that doesn’t mean our work is done. Our elected officials need to keep hearing from us. They need our expertise, our stories and our support. Please continue to connect with your legislators when one of our legislative priorities has a hearing or debate. Lend your support! Follow MNA’s Legislative Updates in your email to stay informed and active.