Essentia Executives Choosing PR Over Patients, Say Nurses

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE 

Contact: Laurie Laker
(c) 612-741-0662
laurie.laker@mnnurses.org

Shannon Cunningham 
(c) 61-269-1418
shannon.cunningham@mnnurses.org

(Duluth, MN) – May 8, 2025 – As Essentia Health executives prepare to conduct a press conference today, nurses are calling out what the hospital system is not doing: addressing the ongoing staffing crisis that is putting patients at risk.

“Essentia executives will make one thing clear today—they’d rather talk about nurses than with us,” said Chris Rubesch, an Essentia nurse and President of the Minnesota Nurses Association. “During National Nurses Week, they’re holding a press conference while refusing to fix the unsafe conditions nurses have raised for years. That’s not leadership—it’s deflection.”

Nurses have been clear about what’s needed: safe, enforceable staffing levels which lead to better outcomes and lower costs for patients. Hospital executives refused those demands in 2023. Since then, hospital revenue is up millions—and executive bonuses are up right alongside it.

Today, many hospital executives are adopting Wall Street tactics of cutting staff, closing units, and raising prices in order to boost the bottom line. Unless nurses win contracts that stop them, they’ll keep putting profits ahead of patient care.

“Even a study Essentia sent us last year shows that understaffing patient care leads to worse outcomes,” said Stacee Rosier, an ICU nurse and MNA negotiator. “Essentia has not provided any evidence that their current staffing model provides better care – because they can’t.”

Nurses are simply asking for what works: proven, enforceable staffing levels that save lives, reduce workplace injuries, cut long-term costs, and keep experienced nurses at the bedside. “There is no nurse shortage—only a shortage of nurses willing to work in these conditions. Nurses aren’t leaving because the job is hard. They’re leaving because hospital executives are making it dangerous – and then calling it normal. We’ll keep fighting for safe staffing levels because it’s what our patients deserve—and we’re done asking quietly,” concluded Rubesch.

Share the Post:

Related Posts

Hazelden Nurses at the strike line with signs

Hazelden Betty Ford nurses ratify historic first union contract

First unionized nurses at Hazelden Betty Ford Foundation secure landmark agreement after two-week unfair labor strike

CENTER CITY, Minn.—(July 30, 2026)—Nurses at Hazelden Betty Ford Foundation, represented by the Minnesota Nurses Association (MNA), have voted to ratify their first collective bargaining agreement, concluding a historic campaign that established the first unionized nurse bargaining unit anywhere in the nation across the Hazelden Betty Ford Foundation system.
… Read more about: Hazelden Betty Ford nurses ratify historic first union contract  »

Read More

BREAKING: 600 Maple Grove nurses ratify new contract, securing stronger wages, workplace protections and stability during proposed acquisition

Nearly 600 nurses at Maple Grove Hospital, represented by the Minnesota Nurses Association, have voted to ratify a historic three-year contract that strengthens wages, retirement security, affordable health insurance and workplace protections while providing stability for nurses and patients as the hospital prepares to be acquired by Sanford Health. 
… Read more about: BREAKING: 600 Maple Grove nurses ratify new contract, securing stronger wages, workplace protections and stability during proposed acquisition  »

Read More