By Geri Katz
MNA Healthcare Reform Specialist
In the lead-up to tomorrow’s June 8 election in the United Kingdom, the Labour Party has pledged to nurses of the National Health Service to:
- Pass national staffing legislation;
- Give nurses a pay raise and invest an additional £37 billion in the NHS; and
- Stop the privatization of the National Health Services
Two things about this remarkable pledge are worth noting for MNA nurses:
- This is what political power looks like.
- In a single payer healthcare system, the government has the leverage to make reforms to standards of care and working conditions across the country.