NOTICE OF POSITION OPENING
Position Title: Communications Specialist
ACCOUNTABLE TO: Director of Governmental and Community Relations
Works to promote and achieve the goals and priorities of the Minnesota Nurses Association (MNA) by providing professional and technical guidance and strategic recommendations in the development and maintenance of cohesive, effective communications. The Communications Specialist will work with a team to plan, implement, and evaluate the communications of the Association, with a focus on internal communications. Duties may include, but are not limited to:
Primary Job Duties:
- Establishing best practices for MNA’s internal member communications;
- Creating content for all MNA’s communications channels, with a strong emphasis on written content and storytelling;
- Create and implement internal communication plans for MNA’s contract and organizing campaigns;
- Create and implement internal communication plans for MNA’s legislative and electoral campaigns;
- Create and implement internal communications plans for MNA’s internal events including, but not limited to MNA’s annual convention and MNA member elections.
- Write, edit and copy-edit MNA’s Accent magazine, M-Link newsletter, Legislative update, all publications related to the MNA annual convention and other ongoing internal publications of the association;
- Write and/or edit speeches and testimony for officers, members and staff for internal union events;
- Develop ideas for and writing of feature articles, interviews, and presentations;
- Coordinate and maintain MNA’s social media presence on member pages;
- Develop and maintain contacts with community and media representatives;
- Implement programs that build member knowledge;
- Update and adhere to MNA Communication Style Guide and branding.
Secondary Job Duties:
- Take photographs and video of MNA events as needed;
- Implement programs that build internal brand recognition;
- Serve as backup for the External Communications and Public Relations Specialist, as well as the Production and Graphics Specialist;
- Other duties as assigned
The position may include long and irregular hours, including weekends and evenings. Travel is required, including overnight stays.
Education: Bachelor’s degree is required. Master’s degree preferred.
Experience: At least five years of professional experience in strategic,
organizational or nonprofit communications, some of which must be related to public policy or advocacy. Advanced skills in social media. Outstanding written and oral communications skills. Ability to educate and train members to understand issues and translate their experiences into content. Excellent computer skills.
Salary: Per MNASO Local 1, Unit 2 Contract Agreement.
MNA is an EEO/AA Employer.
Contact: Send letter of application, resume, references and salary requirements to Cynthia Campos, HR Manager, at Cynthia.Campos@mnnurses.org.